Opinions of a murri woman...

Opinions of a murri woman...

Saturday, September 25, 2010

Music: "The last true voice of the human spirit"




Music....



Since I can remember, music has been a part of my life.... I grew up with musical influences of artists such as Yothu Yindi, Kev Carmody and Archie Roach, to Bob Marley, Midnight Oil, Crowded house, KC And the sunshine band, The Bee Gee's, and the era of Motown. My mother is a lover of music, so is my father, and I am grateful that I was bought up in a household where music was embraced, loved and respected...

At around the age of 10, my taste in music began to develop, with the purchase of my first CD, 'The Score'- The Fugees... I'll never forget the day I recieved it.. I got it for my birthday, after months of begging and telling mum to buy it for me... At the time I don't think she really knew what the fugees were all about.... We're talking late mid to late 90's of Hip Hop, when Vocalist and MC, Lauryn Hill was raw, emerging and outspoken. The album filled with lyrics featuring swearing, killings, drugs, and social injustices was my first taste of music, and an album that I believe changed my whole life. An album that I still have today with out a scratch on it..

See music to me isn't just an option, It's life. I use it and consume it for most parts of my day, every single day since I can remember... I think American Hip Hop group, 'Dead Prez' sum it up nicely in their track 'Hip Hop' when they say 'One thing bout music is when it hits you, you feel no pain'. I can't count the amount of times that music has saved my life, bought me up from dispair and bought me happiness...

Music is emotional... The likes of Ben Harper and the Innocent Criminals have been there for me with their soulful relateable songs that have stuck to my soul and toyed with my heart strings.. These emotional songs are the type of music that can bring you to tears because it is, quite simply, Powerful and goes beyond just the ears....

Music inspires... The sounds of Michael Franti, John Butler Trio, Xavier Rudd Blue King Brown, The Last Kinection, U2, Jack Johnson, Tupac Shakur, and Dead Prez, require clinched fists in the air, and give you a strong heart. It's music made, that will not only make you strong, but change your thoughts and beliefs....

Music makes me happy... Motown, The Temptations, Aretha Franklin, The Supremes. Timeless music that can reach people beyond its age demographic. It warms you, and fills you with joy. It's a guarantee that when I'm feeling down and need to smile, these types of artists and their music will always put a smile on my face...


One of my biggest musical influences has always been and always will be, Bob Marley and the Wailers.... Nothing needs to be said about how good they are, all that needs to be said is 'respect'.... So many songs that bring millions around the world closer. A perfect example of this was when I was sitting in Brisbane Entertainment centre with a good friend of mine, 'Avelina Tarrago' waiting to hear the flawless artists that is 'Alicia Keys' to perform. The crowd began to grow restless and then the sound guys dropped, Bob Marleys 'Three Little Birds' track, and every person in the stadium, of every colour, nationality and age starting singing the lyrics together... It was truely amazing and shows how strong music is... He was without a doubt, one of the most powerful men in the world, and I am grateful for his music everyday...

With so much turmoil and destruction in the world. With wars, deaths, poverty and injustice, Music is there... Music is there for the hopeless, for the rich, the poor, the inspired, the brave, the happy and the sad... It's a piece of our world we all share in some shape or form and something that will outlast humanity and beyond.... With that in mind, I'll leave you with this quote:

"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music”

One Love, One Life....

1 comment:

  1. Beautifully said sista!!

    It is so amazing what music does - how it can inspire us, makes us feel soo much and unite all of us no matter how different we think we are.. For me, whenever I feel alone and like I can't relate or connect with anyone, music lifts me up, I can always connect to music.

    Music is beautiful, powerful, universal. It is eternal yet dynamic and ever-changing. It is the creative force made manifest on this earth.

    Love :)

    ReplyDelete