Opinions of a murri woman...

Opinions of a murri woman...

Friday, September 3, 2010

Welcome To The Good Life....




Tuesday, November 30th 2010....This is the date I graduate from my graduate diploma of radio course from the Australian Film Television and Radio school....

With just over two months left of my course to go, I can't believe how fast the time has gone... Feels like only yesterday that I boarded a plane with my life in one suitcase on valentines day this year, and headed for the bright lights of Sydney....

This year hasn't been the easiest of years... Being the first and only Indigenous student the school has ever had study at a full time level in the radio department since the schools operation from the 70's, it's fair to say that I've definately felt the pressure... The pressure to succeed and set a precendent for other potential black broadcasters who may want to enter the radio course in the future... Trying to keep my head above water with study and home life, as well as maintaining my character and cultural identity has been the biggest challenges so far...

Since my arrival in Sydney, I've lived with a drunken black man who struggled with identity, alcholic and drug related issues in housing commission in the most notorious suburb in Sydney; Kings Cross... I walked past prostitutes on my way home from night class, drug dealers and homeless people... Talk about being thrown in the deep end of city living... That situation didn't work out, and from there I move and currently reside at a black hostel in the inner west of sydney, renting a room for $187 a week that has a single bed, a desk and a closet in it... It's not much, but it's home....

Trying to adjust to a, let's not lie about it, predominantly white school (theres only 7 indigenous students in the school) while dealing with an uneasy and distruptive home life for most part of the year has been hard, but with only a few months left, I reflect on my life in the past few months and I smile....

Giving up everything I've known to take a chance at the big city is the stuff people dream of doing, and I'm lucky enough to be living it...

I recently took a trip on the iconic Manly ferry and on my way back into Sydney harbour, with light rain falling on my face and a freezing cold wind cutting though me, I looked out to the beautiful quiet city skyline, and realise that life is perfect.... I've never felt so fullfilled and so absorbed with happiness....

With an uncertain future, I'm soaking up every minute and every experience of my Sydney life, because the reality is, things will change in the next few months... My life is about to change and Sydney and everything I'm loving right now, could soon become a distant memory... I just hope that the ride lasts a bit longer... Whatever the universe throws at me after study, I know it will be for a reason and I will embrace it with fear, excitement, contentment, faith and optimism like I do with everything else.... Here's to new beginnings and hopefully more happy days...

Until next time....

One Love, One Life.... X

1 comment:

  1. Wow, the first FT Indigenous student at AFTRS ... congrats Carly ... best of luck over the next couple of months as you finish off your degree!

    ReplyDelete