Opinions of a murri woman...

Opinions of a murri woman...

Thursday, October 28, 2010

'Dare to Dream'....




I have a signed autograph by legendary boxer 'Rubin Hurricane Carter' that reads, 'To Carly... Dare to dream always', Love 'Rubin Hurricane Carter'.... I've had that signature behind glass since 2002, and it's been my motivation in everything I have every achieved in my life since then.... Yesterday was no different... After 250 days, or 8 months and 8 days, and after 6,000 hours, I finally completed my Graduate Diploma of radio course at the Australian Film Television and Radio School....AND MY GOD DOES IT FEEL GOOD...

It's 4:51am here in Sydney, and for the past three hours, I have been awake, tossing and turning. The aircon's weren't switched on last night and I'm feeling hot and bloated from the beer I drank with my second family yesterday afternoon. I've tried going back to sleep numerous times tonight, but reality is, I'm wide awake with a thousand thoughts running through my head.

Yesterday was my very last day of school. The place I've been too nearly everyday since I arrived in Sydney.. The place I've grown to love, and learnt so much from. I finished all of my assignments and went to drop off a microphone and officially sign out of AFTRS... I did so, but not before I was bailed up in the staff room by the head of the radio department who said that I have to be in Sydney for graduation because it's been a BIG Year for me... At that moment, I kinda broke down.... After all these months of struggling on centrelink, living outta a black fulla hostel, with assignments coming out of my ears, in a place I felt I never really fitted into, It had all hit me at that moment....

That conversation was my 'Goodbye' speech from my lecturers, and anyone who knows me well, knows that I hate goodbyes.... The biggest thing that hit me was when she said 'She'd had been waiting for a person like me to come to that school, and now that I've gone through the year, she couldn't be happier'... This to me is my success for the year, and she's right.... I had a lot of people who doubted me, and a lot that supported me through out this study year and now that it's all over, I feel a HUGE Sigh of relief, joy and achievement.

To be the very first Indigenous Student to graduate at a fulltime level in the radio department in the schools history is something that I can't even fathom just yet. I knew if I completed my studies, that I would be the first, but it hasn't hit me that I actually did it.... The greatest thing from that achievement is that I am being a good role model for my little brother and nephews and niece, and that my family are all proud of me back in Queensland....


Handing in my student card, my locker key, my transport concession card (that hurt the most) and signing out of the building like I was never really there yesterday, was hard, but it felt good and was the final step in saying goodbye to the study year.

As I drank beer with three of my study mates later that day, I looked across at each of them to see love, friendship, fear, sadness and even a few tears. This was a relief to me, cause at least I wasn't the only one feeling it... Now this all may sound pretty dramatic for anyone reading this who didn't go to my school and go through the journey as me and 9 other people in my class have this year, but it's been one heck of a rollar coaster for each and every one of us.... Despite the stress, nearly quitting mid year, my bad living arrangments and the pressure of it all, this year has been without a doubt, THE BEST YEAR OF MY LIFE.....




This weekend I move out of the hostel I've called home for the past 8 months... I was taking down my pictures from the wall the other day and packing my suitcase to move for the third time this year and it hit me that this was another chapter of my life that added to the joy and stresses of the year. When i first moved in, I didn't know anyone and was reluctant to even come and stay, but I had no where else to go and limited money, so I took a chance and it turned out to be the best thing I could've done.. I met people who have become like family to me and without them and their support all year, I wouldn't of made it this far into the year. John, Yaleela, Barbie, Katayla, Kate, Rob, and Wayne, thank you all for making me feel like I've had a second family in Sydney... I love you all.... To my dear friend Noella green who is taking me in and letting me crash on her couch until I find my feet again, I OWE YOU MY LIFE, and I'm not even joking.... Without your generosity, support and feeds this year, I would be homeless and probably back in Queensland doing nothing.. Thank you for motivating me at times where I needed it the most... You are a friend for life!!! On Friday when I move out of this hostel, I think I will shed a little tear for the place, but I know that it has served it's purpose and that I am destined for bigger and better things.





So what now.. What's next you're probably wondering. Yeah, it's a funny question, I've been wondering that myself lately.... I could sit here and think about my future, I could stress, and freak out, or I can do what I always do and just let the universe take care of what it needs to. With every door shut, another opens, so now I wait.... I wait to see what's around the corner and what's in store for me......

One of the biggest things I will take away from this year, is the passion I have now, to go on and make GREAT Radio... I don't want to make Okay radio, I want to make GREAT Radio, Emotional radio, radio that will change thought patterns and sterotypes. I want to strive for more than just an announcer. I want to lead, I want to shape and I want to live and breathe the Australian Radio Industry... That's all I know for now, so until then, I'm taking it all one day at a time....

November 30th, 2010 is the day I graduate from the Australian Film Television and Radio School....To fulfill a goal I set out to achieve so long ago feels amazing and undescribable... Maybe even enough to keep me awake at 5:39am....


One Love, One Life....

2 comments:

  1. Congratulations Carly, really inspiring, can't wait to hear about what you do next!
    Priscilla x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks priscilla, I really appreciate it xo

    ReplyDelete