Opinions of a murri woman...

Opinions of a murri woman...

Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Moment For Life...




Human beings are funny things. We are each brought up with different beliefs and way of life. Our human nature tells us from a very young age that we look out for our own, and majority of people do throughout their lives. When a loved one is in trouble or in a hard spot, we often reach out our hands and give them all the help they need.

Humans, for all the bad we are capable of, have a lot of good in us. Although we live our separate lives, have our own families, money and objects, we are still universally attached with the aspects of life and death. There is something in all of us that sympathises when someone is hurting. Human nature kicks in and we all are capable of helping others in their time of need.

Today as the buildings in New Zealand crumble and innocent lives are trapped under rubble, we see the human spirit stronger than ever. Complete strangers offering to help each other, hugging, embracing and sharing in each other’s pain and anguish. In last month’s cyclone in North Queensland, we also saw how people genuinely care for each other and are willing to do what it takes to help out their fellow human beings.

Whatever you believe in spiritually, religiously or culturally, there is one thing that is for sure. Whoever made us, who ever created our complex species, is definitely a genius. This world is like one great big game. We live here for however amount of time, deal with mother nature, other human beings, emotions, success, failure, sickness, happiness and joy, and then all of a sudden, we die, and just like that, it’s over...




In aboriginal families, your ‘family’ isn’t just your immediate family of mum and dad and your siblings, it includes your WHOLE Family, and especially in my family, means the extended family. I was brought up with my cousins and was told from a very young age that they aren’t just your cousin but they were like a brother or sister. Since I can remember, my cousins and I have been close. Yeah we fought and bickered as kids and still do to this day on occasions, but no matter what, we are all there for each other in the rough times.

This was made clear to me when mum passed away in December. Even though my family and I don’t speak every day, they were all there for me as soon as the news broke about mum. We all live individual lives but for them to drop everything and be there for myself, my sister Jade, my brother Eika, and Dad, meant the absolute world to us. See, mum was the first to pass in our immediate family and none of us had ever had to face a challenge or heartbreak like this one before.

When a loved one dies, there are no words of comfort that anyone can give you. No one can make you feel better and in return, loved ones feel helpless. All my family could offer was hugs and love, and in a time like that, that is all that was needed, and the only thing that got us through each day.

Since mum has gone, I have had so many offers of help from total strangers who have wanted to lend a hand to myself and my siblings. From community people offering to sponsor Eika, to long distance friends offering money, Friends paying for flights, Aunties and Uncles helping with the formalities of mums bills etc, to Local papers wanting to do tribute stories and even mums friends, complete strangers to me, dropping over meat and food for us to keep.

I have been so overwhelmed in the last two months with the generosity of others, and am humbled that in these times of darkness, there has been light in the forms of family, friends and strangers. Thank you all for the love and care you have shown to me and my family, and I know one day, I will repay the favour to you when you are faced with similar circumstances.

No matter rich man, no matter poor man, we will all leave this planet one day and face hard times, but it’s the ones who stand beside you and give you a shoulder to cry and lean on in those moments that matter...




To all of those in New Zealand tonight, my thoughts are with you and those still yet to be found. To those reading this, learn from the recent events, whether my situation or one of the many natural disasters that have occurred. Enjoy living your lives and love your family.

Until next time...


One love, One life... XO

No comments:

Post a Comment